Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Years Resolutions

So every year around this time of the year people make resolutions for whatever reason, typically to better themselves. In the past I have never really set any resolutions for myself mainly because its just another thing that I could possibly fail at so why do it? Well at least that was my train of thought and the idea that shouldn't we be bettering ourselves every day and not at just the beginning of a new year. But for whatever reason I felt like this year I needed to set some resolutions, I do believe that I do work on bettering myself every single day, but these are some goals that will stay at the top of my list this year, or at least that is what I am hoping for.

When making these top 5 goals I took in consideration all the things that happened to me in 2010 that I could remember. I took in consideration things that I felt like needed to change, things that I felt were big flaws in myself and came up with these in no real order.

1. Getting healthier, eating better, and exercising regularly.
2. Working on my expectations for others.
3. Being safe in the car, wearing a seat belt always and no playing with the phone.
4. Don't waste time or energy on things/people that don't matter.
5. Working on letting people, sharing my emotions, being more open.

I have to say I think these are 5 pretty tough goals, a few that I think most people probably put as their only resolution for the whole year, but I mean I have a year to work on them and get them done and if I don't succeed I just try again right?

1. Getting healthier, eating better, and exercising regularly.
Shouldn't we all be doing this anyways? Shouldn't we all be eating better so we can feel better, live longer for ourselves and all the people that love us? I should have probably made this goal for myself year ago, the idea of having to get my gall bladder out at 14 probably should have been my sign. I think this goal is hard though specially if your a cheap kid like me and don't want to pay for a gym membership or when your constantly on the go. I've decided though I need to quit making those excuses and do my best to get myself in the best shape of my life. I started this task actually about 2 months ago when I started weight watchers, which has turned out to be a really good program for me. I just now really have to get focused and really do the program rather than go back and forth with the program, it really does help you eat better and its becoming a life style change rather than just a diet I am on. The exercise is going to be harder I think, its going to be hard I think to try to fit in exercise everyday, but at the same time I fit in time to watch tv so I will somehow fit in exercise...maybe some exercise videos on the computer while the tv is running? Hmmm sound like it could work. I also got lucky that my sister got me the biggest loser game on wii, it kicks some butt but does it in a fun way and I am really enjoying it and hoping I continue to do so. Its also great to have other people on the weight watcher program with me and also wanting to get healthy, so hopefully they will stick on it and be my partner in this little task. I've got a long way to go but believe I can do it.

2. Working on my expectations for others.
This one is going to be tough, but it seemed to be the theme this year to many of my disagreements. When did having high expectations become a problem? or maybe it has always been there that I didn't know about, but its there. Early last year there was this fight that happened one Monday night and when I talked to my sister about the fight she told me that I was a good person but that my expectations were too high and people can't keep up with it. I think it was a good compliment, she told me that I held myself to a high expectations when being a friend, sister, daughter, etc and I expected others to be like me but that it wasn't realistic. So in a sense it was a compliment to me on the person I am, but at the same time it made it hard for me to understand what she meant. It wasn't until a really good friend of mine had a long talk about our friendship, because at the time it was kind of going down and on my side of things I thought there was no way our friendship was going to go back up, told me that she was scared that she wouldn't live up to my standards. So it got me thinking about my standards for others. Do I hold my friend, sister, dad, mom, myself, etc to high standards? Are having high standards a bad thing? Where is that middle line? Should I lower my standards so I can hit them...should I just settle for whatever? This one is going to be hard to try to find a middle standard...one that isn't too high and unrealistic to reach but then I am not just setting standards that are so low that I continue just being me and not bettering myself or perhaps helping a person around me. Yes I expect a lot from people, because I think everyone should be the best person they can be whatever that may be. I try not to show my expectations for people but I guess even if I don't say them my reactions to them are enough for them to know that I might have high expectations for them. So i am going to work on finding that middle ground and realize that everyone is human, including myself.

3. Being safe in the car, wearing a seat belt always and no playing with the phone.
This one is because its the law basically. Its the law to wear your seat belt, which I do for the most part but I have time periods were I just don't want to so I am going to work on that this year. And of course we all know playing with your phone while driving is just dangerous so I am just going to do this one to avoid getting in a wreck and any tickets.

4. Don't waste time or energy on things/people that don't matter.
At 23 I think I might be the most stressed out person so I think this will help me relax and not worry about what is going on around me but just enjoy life and only worry about the things that really need me to worry. I also think this will help with 5 it will help me be able to just let things go and not worry about it. I thin it will help me control my feelings and instead of getting frustrated with things I can't change I will just let it go and be able to just move on from it.

5. Working on letting people, sharing my emotions, being more open.
This past year was really really really hard for me to communicate with pretty much anyone. I held lots and lots of feelings in, which really hurt me. I kept so much in that I almost exploded a few times before realizing I can't bring up things that happened months ago to a fight that is happening now because I decided to bottle it up. So I am working on not pushing people away because I get scared of myself messing up or failing, when in reality when I push away I am already the one screwing it up. I will work on sharing emotions hopefully this will help get rid of some stress that goes on. I think I will be more open and be able to communicate better with my family and friends, part of this blog is to help with opening up, maybe not completely to my family and friends but to anyone reading and will let me vent it out.

So there are my goals/resolutions hoping to make it to 12/31/11 with all 5 accomplished, but if not I will use number 2 and 4 to make it all okay.

No comments: