Thursday, December 24, 2009

Holiday Season

So I’ve kind of been struggling this holiday season in getting in the spirit and I am not sure why that is this year. I really have no reason not be in the spirit. I’ve been very very blessed, specially this week. On Monday I checked my grades and received a 3.0 which at the beginning of the semester I would have told you that it was something that I couldn’t ever achieve. Too many this 3.0 probably doesn’t mean much, but to me it was a confidence booster, it was step one for me to begin believing in myself. It made me realize that if I put my mind too it I can achieve anything that may seem completely impossible. When I saw that I got my 3.0 I was so excited and when I went to tell/email others the excitement that others had for me meant more to me than anyone can ever imagine. The response of “I knew you could do it” just showed me that other really believe in me even when I may not myself. Even though getting a 3.0 was very exciting the week continued to get better. Every day this week pretty much every time I left my office I came back to a gift of some sort. It was quiet exciting but not because of all the wonderful gift I’ve gotten, but for all the wonderful people in my life that took the time to think about me this holiday season and everyday for that matter. Even though some may think that I got gifts because I gave gifts, but I would like to think that people care about me. It may be true that the people that bought me gifts did it because I got them something but the idea that someone could even say to me that you’re getting gifts because you gave a gift really hurts my feelings. I honestly like to believe that it’s not how much you get but that someone took the time to think about you. If you are out buying a gift for someone because you got one from them I say stop and walk out of the store, because it means nothing to buy a gift for someone that you weren’t going to get them something to start off with. We so often forget that it’s not about what you may have gotten, how many gifts you receive, or how much money was spent on you, but it’s the thought behind the gift, the idea that someone took the time to think about you....this holiday season I asks that we all take a moment to reflect on what really matters to us, is it the gifts that we receive or is it the time we get to spend with our loved ones? Give the best gift by just being there for someone, making someone smile, telling them you love them and care, making a difference in someone’s life. I will try to do my best to not be so wrapped up in the commercial side of the holidays but to really get in the spirit and inspire someone and to make a difference in someone’s life, will you?

To all of you that are reading this that gave me gifts, I won’t be mention your gift specifically, but EVERY single gift I got this year was completely amazing! I loved everything I got and felt special every single time I opened a gift. It means SO much to me that you all thought of me and took the time out of all the business of the holidays to stop and think about me. You all have showered me with love this past week and made me feel on top of the world. You all are truly inspiring and I am so blessed that I have you all in my life. At 22 I may not have had all the experiences as many of you all but I have been blessed to have you all in my life and show me the ropes and been given the chances to experience all these special things. Some of the experiences I have had this week are ones that I am still blown away by. On Monday being on row A to experience the 2,000th win with a great person, getting the chance to meet Coach Calipari, the basketball team, and staff while they walked around the Kentucky Children’s Hospital brightening and touching young patients and their families. It is something that many people don’t ever get to experience. And I was lucky enough to be able to watch and witness how just a little smile and a conversation from the team can brightening up so many. And yes they are “famous” but any of us can do it. Take some time out of all the craziness that comes from the holiday season and impact a life. I’ve been impacted in so many ways.

As I mentioned before I’ve been very blessed and have gotten lots and lots of gifts so far and it’s not even Christmas, but one of the best gifts I have gotten is a gift that wasn’t even a gift for me. I mean of course it was a gift for me, but it’s not. And I am sure many are confused now, but it was a donation in honor of me to a something I am very passionate about. Even though many probably are unsure about the gift, and I am sure the person that gave it to me is unsure as well, but it’s for sure going down as one of the best gifts I have EVER gotten. It means a lot that someone would take their time and contribute to something I love and care about. This gift not only shows how much the person cares for me, but I know for a fact that it will impact others and maybe in some way I’ve impacted the person that gave it to me. And that last fact is the one that means more to me than anything. This person is one of the best people I know. They inspire me every single day to be a better person, to be someone I never knew I could be, every day they take the time to make me feel so very special so to even have a small impact on their life is the best gift I could have been given. Yes this is me saying I’ve given myself a gift because I impacted someone else, but really isn’t that the best gift to give anyone? A gift that can affect them? The second to last line of this card says “thank you for inspiring others to make an impact” I hope that I really have inspired others to make an impact.

Thank you to everyone that has impacted my life this year!

No comments: