A few years ago a friend of mine told me about when she was little she had a Christmas Mouse, which is a little friend that leaves gifts to help countdown to Christmas. It sounded like a fun little idea so I thought I would invest into a Christmas Penguin for this person. Last year I thought that a fun little gift would be to start doing little Christmas Penguin adventures. All the little gifts are always fun, but spending time with the person has been what I really look forward to. Last year I played a little trick without really knowing it but loved that I was able to completely surprise her. For the adventure I did a little scavenger hunt that lead us to dinner at Cheddar's, back to the house to get the #55 jersey, and to row A behind the bench 2000 win for UK on 12/21! It was an amazing game and an amazing time. Not only was it great to be able to say that I was at the 2000 win, but even better to say that I was able to surprise a great friend and be there with a great person.
This year the Christmas Penguin decided to do a bunch of adventures. We both went to our first UK Hoops game, I went to Pho BC for the first time, we both went to the Soup Kitchen for the first time, saw the Southern Lights for the first time in years and then our biggest adventure was a little trip to Indianapolis. The funniest and weirdest thing about this is that the original adventure day for this was going to be 12/19 but after a few things we ended up doing it on 12/21, which I found to be weird that both of our big adventures ended up being the same date. She found it to be a tradition, which I really like. The trip started with a nice long drive to Indianapolis but it was a very good drive. Its been a tough year for us and the last couple of months we've struggled so much with communicating and we were able to really talk to each other on this trip, it was nice. We then went to Granite City Brewery to eat, which was pretty awesome, I recommended it if your in Indy looking for a place to eat.
We then headed to Wicked which was a phenomenal show. I was questioning it at first but it really is a good show and I highly recommend watching it with a friend. I can not imagine watching Wicked with any other person. Wicked tells the story of Elphaba and her relationship with Galinda, it talks about their friendship and struggles through their opposing personalities and viewpoints. Parts of this musical made me think about my friendship with this person and how we have very opposing personalities and viewpoints. Sometimes our personalities and viewpoints cause us to really struggle but watching this musical for whatever reason made me feel better about our friendship. I'm sure it sounds stupid that I am believing something of fiction or even comparing it to my real life, but it made me believe that people from 2 different backgrounds with 2 different personalities can be great friends. There is one thing that really sticks in my head and its the very last song that they sang and the lines that are so unforgettable to me is "I know I'm who I am today because I knew you...I have been changed for good...you'll be with me...and whatever way our stories end I know you have re-written mine by being my friend..." It really was an amazing trip and I couldn't have asked for a better friend to go with. The ride back was just as great as the ride up, we just chatted the whole way back and before we knew it we were back in Lexington.
This was one of the best days I've had in a while. It was a Christmas Penguin Miracle.
No comments:
Post a Comment