So 6 years ago today I started at the College of Medicine Alumni and Development office. It's kind of hard to believe that its been 6 years...a lot has changed. I am not sure how I feel about it currently. I have met a lot of great people and have gotten a lot of experience but not sure its really for me anymore. I think I am getting burnt out and I am still young and shouldn't be so burnt out. Have I lost the desire to come to work?
I feel that I am taking a lot of things very personal lately and maybe that is part of my problem. Today I felt like I got attacked which in reality it wasn't the case but I just kind of felt that way so maybe I should work on my emotions. Its just hard sometimes because I feel like I have worked so hard to be nowhere in a sense. But I do know that something is out there for me and I just have to be patient. Good things come to those who wait, right? Things happen for a reason.
6 years ago I started my job with the College of Medicine, and also found out that day that another student worker that had been working 2 week had decided to quit. A few months later probably 3 months or so later the person in the alumni role quit and it was my self and the director working on everything. Before the alumni person quit they did hire in another student worker which I am not too sure to this day what they did. They left in May though. Sometime in the early months of this year a new development person for KCH was hired. In June of the following year when we hired in someone into the alumni position, that turned out to be a pretty big mess actually they lasted about 6 months if even that. Then they hired in an annual giving person about a week after the hire of the alumni position. I wasn't sure what I thought about when they came in to fill out paperwork, but like I said things have changed and now we are friend. We then hired in a temp to help with things which they did do what they needed to do but made the office a little interesting. In Jan the following year a new hire for admin support was hired in the suit next to us and in Feb 2008 a girl that was working for KCH quit her job or somewhat got forced out and then a little while later the director of KCH announced they were leaving. In Feb I also quit my job which ended up being the Friday before the new alumni person was actually hired in.
I remember going home after my last when I first quit and reading all this wonderful things people had written me and thought this was the last time I would ever be working with these people. But 2 months later I was back asking for a job and luckily they had a job that the could give me. I worked in this position until end of October and decided to pursue a full time position that last 2 months and came back to this job about 4 months later. I have been here since minus a summer to work with my uncle.
I have missed a lot of things that have happened in this blog like hiring of pretty much all new people since I start in 2005 minus two people. Lots of people leaving because of whatever reasons, lots of personal growth as a person, lots of growth in my relationships with people, my new experience levels, and just a bunch of others things. Its just crazy to me that I have been here 6 years, in 2005 I never would have thought I would be here past 2009 when I was planning to graduated with bio-chem degree and heading to medical school to become a pediatrician...but guess that didn't quiet work out like I thought it would now did it?
But I don't regret the last 6 years, some of my best friends are people I work with as well as some of my best qualities came out because of this place. Just hard to believe, it feels like only yesterday okay maybe not quiet that quick but pretty quickly.
No comments:
Post a Comment