Friday, June 10, 2011

KCH Visits

So I have taken many people on a Kentucky Children's Hospital visit, but today was a whole new visit. Everyone I have brought in has been a great adventure and the kids love it, but today I brought in Josh Harrellson. He is an amazing guy and loves to be around kids. He spent a numerous amount of time with each kid talking to them, playing with them, and just being a kid himself. It was amazing watching him interact with the kids, you could tell he wanted to be there and there was no where else he wanted to be. He was truly amazing. One room he spent about 10 minutes playing ball with a little kid, throwing it over his head, hiding it, the same kind of things you would do with your own kid I am sure. He signed basketballs for practically every kid and some adults even. He really wanted to get to know the kids that were there, he asked about them, asked the families how they were holding up, and just really spent time to get to know each family and try to comfort them. He also was walking around thanking the doctors and the nurses for all they do. I was amazed when I first heard him thank a nurse, not that they shouldn't be thanked, but that he was thoughtful enough to do so, but really what was I thinking he is a phenomenal person.

The best part for me though was seeing his reaction with a patient that actually cried when he walked into the room. Just as a reminder, this was a surprise to all the kids, nobody knew he was coming in but basically me, Angela, and Child Life, so pretty small group of people and we tried our best to keep it quiet. But the point of that is to say that we didn't know there were even any fans of Josh there. This girl actually started to shake and started to cry, while Josh repeated "please don't cry". As she told her story to Josh about why she was here Josh reached down and held her hand. It was truly amazing to watch their interactions and how big of an impact Josh can make. She said several times throughout the time we were there which was probably a good 30-45 minutes "its Josh Harrellson" she was in shock to the very end. Not only did the girl get emotional the family, who happened to be there with her as well got emotional. I think we could have been there for hours talking to this family and just hanging out if she didn't have to leave for a procedure, but we did come back to check on her to make sure all things went well, Josh's request. It was amazing time.

Josh is an amazing guy and if you ever get a chance to meet him you definitely should. I am so blessed to have had the opportunity to be apart of this tour with him and to get to know him. Phenomenal guy and I can't wait to see what he does.

No comments: