Today I went and watched the movie The Help at the Kentucky, which I think added a little something to it as well.
Set in Jackson, Mississippi, The Help is Aibileen's story, and it's also the story of her best friend, Minny, a housekeeper/cook who's as feisty. The actors did a great job etching these women's hopes and broken dreams with every line, and between the lines, too. The film is also about their comrades, and about the women they work for — a group of eager, perky housewives who are just the sort of bridge-club-and-benefit types.
It also has a story line where Skeeter, Aibileen, and Minny who are very different, but extraordinary women in Mississippi during the 1960s, who build an unlikely friendship around a secret writing project that breaks societal rules and puts them all at risk for a great cause. At the time it was improbable that they would become such great friends, but with writing the book they all receive courage and realize that sometimes lines have to be crossed, even if it means risking your life.
I think this movie should make us really think...as many of us sit through it and probably shake our heads at the things being done or said, but are we still doing those things today? Is there a little Hilly in us? I hope that the answer is now, but I am doubtful that all racism is gone. I think that we all understand that these things happened in 1960s, but watching this and seeing the side of the African Americans makes a difference, and the actress play an amazing role and seeing in their body language the affect they have.
I think this movie makes me think about things that I totally regret and never think about. I have been very fortunate that I haven't had to deal with much racism in my life and can't imagine living in the 1960s and having to deal with racism. Can you imagine being a minority?
"Courage ain't just about being brave, courage is there to do what is right inspite the weakness of our flesh."
"You is kind. You is smart. You is important"
No comments:
Post a Comment