Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lee Medical Office Day 2

So today wasn't as exciting as yesterday but it still was a blast. Today we saw 32 patients which is crazy insane to me specially since I thought today was slower than yesterday. Today I didn't get to cut any gross foot up but I did get to watch in on a women getting her finger cut open, the lady was a big baby...but I suppose I may be if someone was cutting at my pinky. I think the best part of today for me was that I got promoted up and am able to actually give the shots to people and not just watching them be given. Today I gave someone a B12 shot and gave someone an allergy shot....I was pretty nervous about them both but when I was doing it, it felt just so perfect! I also did my first EKG without help from anyone and those are pretty cool except I got this big harry ole man and when I had to take the stickers off I was afraid I was going to rip off all of his hair, but I didn't which was great and he was really nice to me about it all. The people down here for the most part are really nice and understand I am learning and don't mind me taking longer or having to get a second try at it. Its a great learning environment. Today unfortunately I had to stick a guy twice when I was drawing blood and then finally I just had to get someone else to prick him, but it made me feel good when she had a bit of a hard time with it...I know that sounds bad but mainly beause it made me feel like I was doing the right thing. It gets kind of crazy and unfortunately with my uncle seeing older patients theres a good chance that I may see some deaths and thats a sucky part of things...gosh I don't want to see anyone die, but I suppose it happens and when your an internal medicine dr its bound to happen huh? I think the worse case is being sick and having your family choose what to do, we have this patient right now that is sick and basically going to die or I guess was going to die until they become my uncle's patient. My uncle is helping out and she is leaving another day but the family doesn't seem like they want her to because she is so sick but at the same time don't want to be the ones to make the call and we can't either so today was crazy with getting phone calls from the family throughout the day saying do this or do that...but hopefully my uncle talked some sense into them and things are back to normal. I've met some great people down here and they all seem to really love my uncle, which is great to see...I am glad I have gotten to see him at his job and doing what he loves and he may be turning me to something that I feel like I could absolutely love...maybe medical assistant is for me? Well who knows yet right...

No comments: