Wednesday, July 30, 2008
The Miracles of Medicine
So...I know that is such a cliche for a title, but when I first started this job there was 2 patients that came into the office in wheelchairs that were new patients that my uncle had come back in 2 weeks to check out their progress with the new medication. Well in two weeks I bet you can guess with the title that they were walking into the office, one was walking by themself and the other was using a walker and actually functioning without help from the caregiver. Isn't that just crazy? I have seen probably average 28 patients a day since I have been here and its amazing to me just how many have said to me since I started going to Dr. Lee I've felt so much better. I also had another lady yesterday tell me how my uncle was the first doctor to be able to fix my blood sugar and its making me feel so much stronger. There was also a lady earlier this week that my uncle had been going to see in the hospital that just recently became his patient and yesterday he went to see her before we left and I went to get the kids and came back and he said do you remember the patient that was pretty much just hanging on a thread and the family didn't want her to die but did want her to die and basically wanted me to half @$$ my job? I was like yes...she's alive now and maybe going to get out of the hospital...I mean come on seriously? If you knew the whole story it probably make more sense but basically there was too many family members telling my uncle what to do, saying this should be done or that shouldn't be done and he finally just had to say if you don't want her to suffer anymore then I can help with that, but if you want me to try to save her I can do that...you all need to decide one or the other I am not going to basically half @$$ my job so you all don't have to make the decision...and then they decide that if he could save her then to try. To me this stuff is awesome...but its different for me to I knew my uncle when he was younger and struggling with what he was going to do...to now were he is saving peoples lifes, loving his job everday. I am bias but honestly I've never seen a better doctor then him...he honestly takes the time to sit with the patients and talk to them, be there for them, do only necessary test, help financially with patients that need it, down to earth and tells them how it is in a way that actually gets to them and they want things to change. He is the type of doctor I would want to see when I get older. A lot of times when I am taking patients back they immediately are like your new do you love working for Dr. Lee, he's so awesome, etc and it just amazes me. I think a lot of times that some of his patients do come in just to be somewhere were someone will listen to them...I know at times there has been patients that want to have long conversations with me and just have me sit in the room with them. I had one patient that came in in a wheelchair with her two daughters...the patient didn't seem very happy she kind of was a little grumpy...but as I began to talk to her she started to laugh and it made me feel like I just made her day by just talking to her a little and making her laugh a little...and one of the daughters as I was walking away says I can't believe she made mom laugh, I can't remember mom laughing so much....isn't that pretty sad that the most a patient has laughed is in a doctors office?...but grantly it made me feel good about myself. Then my uncle went in and came back out and told me I needed to give her a b12 shot, which some can be done in the arm which isn't a big deal while others have to be done in the bottom...which still isn't a big deal...just a bigger needle, but its hard on a patient that can't stand...so we had to lift her up and then I had to shoot her in the botox. After that was done I started to put her back in the wheelchair and she gave me a hug and said thanks...and then they left. Touching lifes day in and day out...is the best feeling in the world!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment