Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mommy

So for about the past few month my little cousin Audrey has been calling me mommy and at times it freaks me out and I say no I am not your mommy I am Tina...and she laughs and says O yeah Tina...mainly these time freak me out because it usually seems to happen when I am out with her and someone tells me you have such a cute daughter and usually I say o she's not mine she's my cousin and then of course it never fails that she says mommy and the person looks back with this look like she just lied to me why doesn't that mom want to claim her baby...which of course if it was my baby I absolutely would claim her. So I am definately working on it will her, specially since now I am living down her and her real mommy is here and she already is a little paranoid about not seeing Audrey as much as she would like being in the line of business she is in she works long hours and a lot of times not able to put her kids to bed. Well yesterday was one of those days for her and my uncle so I was in charge of the kids. I left the office around 5:15 to get to the daycare to pick up the kids and my aunt calls and tells me she has to be back at the hospital at 7 so she would really like to see the kids, so I rush over get the kids at the daycare and of course Audrey screams MOMMMMY I mean Tina and runs to me, which since I have been down here is the first she has called me mommy but I thought well she's just calling me that because she expected mommy to pick her up. So I ignored it got the kids in the car and headed back to the hospital to get my uncle...waited until about 6 and he came out, but during the time of waiting she continued to call me mommy...so by this point I feel like its just stuck to her to call me this. My uncle gets in the car takes us home and his off back to work while my aunt is at home trying to scarf down some food before having to be deliver a baby. At this time she asks if I can fix the kids some food and of course I say yes...so I go to Audrey and ask what do you want and she says whatever you are having mommy and so I look at my aunt and say what are you eating and Audrey goes no I mean whatever you are having (refering to me). Everyone just stops, Wendy gets this look on her face like did she really just call you mommy and I am sititng there like great I just made my aunt paranoid, but then I look at Audrey and say well I think Tina's going to eat soup, but would you like Tina to make you some mommy daddy spaghetti (grown up spaghetti) and she said yes. So I am cooking food for Audrey and getting Coopers food warmed up and my aunt turns to me and says I can't believe she called you mommy and I said I think she was just confused since you always are cooking her dinner and she goes no she probably really thinks of you as mommy...and I said no I am sure thats not the case she just saw me do some things you usually do for her and is confused. So we kind of go back and forth like this for a little and she leaves...and asks me to bath the kids and put them to bed if she's not back, which she wasn't. So I bath the kids and put Cooper down and Audrey asks can I sleep with you, mommy...and I say yes you can sleep in mommy's bed today and she says no I want to sleep in your bed today. So I say thats fine...we get ready and we go to bed...and my aunt has a tendence to go kiss the kids when she gets in late if she didn't put them to bed and she likes to wake up Audrey and tell her she loves her and talks a little...well this talk this time probably didn't go so well. Audrey was sleeping with me and she basically had her head on me and a puppy in the other hand...my aunt comes in and gives her a kiss and tries to talk to her and my aunt says are you sleeping with Tina and she goes no mommy...and turns over and goes back to sleep...this was pretty awkward specially when your already fake sleeping trying not to interupt the talk between mom and daughter....gosh I hope this mommy word doesn't make my aunt get mad at me. O well guess I will just have to see how it goes.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Oh gosh! That is hard. Tell Aubrey that it hurts her Mommy's feelings when she calls you Mommy. I can only imagine the guilt your aunt feels with trying to be a mom and a doctor.