Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Lee Medical Office Day 13

Today has been an interesting day to say the least. This morning we had to patients with the same name in the office waiting, one was for bloodwork and one for an actual appointment, and me being the genius I am I of course took the wrong patient back...and was completely confused but its okay because we took care of it all. But thats just how my day started off for me...the next patient I saw was someone coming in and getting her yearly appointment done...with a yearly appointment we do urine sample, bloodwork, and a EKG...well the patient I had was a 65 year old female that weight 340.3lbs and was 5'4" so if you can imagine the lady it would help you with my story. She was a very nice lady but being that much and that short it makes things difficult. The first thing I do is take vitals and then ask them to give me a urine sample, while she is doing that I go to the room and get the EKG started. The lady comes out of the bathroom and she tells me she couldn't give me an urine sample that the cup we gave her had hole in it...and so in my mind I kind of wondering why didn't she get another cup since they are right in front of her, but then I don't really think about it because I assume 65 year old knows that if the cup is leaking to throw it away or at least get rid of the pee....but I was so wrong...I picture her in the bathroom with this leaky cup swinging it around wondering what the heck to do with it and freaking out in like one of those animated movies like the pick up a bomb and they are turing round and round in panic wondering what to do with it...because pee was EVERYWHERE...so she walks on I get her on the bed and get her to unhook her bra...but she tells me that she can't get it unhooked so I help her out unhook it and she is laying there...so with a EKG there are 10 spots that we hook a machine up to you...one on each wrist and ankle...one basically on each breast, one at the top of the rib cage, two under the left breast and one near the left arm pit...and usually its really easy...but when you have a patient that is a little bigger its a little harder...so with this patient it was a little difficult...I did both wrist and ankles first and then I had to left her bra up to get her two on the breast...then then the open at the top of the rib cage area I put on but it looked like she had rust on this area and as she continued to talk to me she told me that she sleeps in her bra and only takes it off to shower which she smelt bad which I honestly make me think she doesn't shower very often...anyways I move on to the one under her left breast but have to actually pick up her breast to place the next two that go there which was sick to pick up someones breast and stickk your hadn under it and put the two "stickers" on it...then I put the last one on and it was pretty nasty because she was sweating pretty bad...anyways I get her finished with the EKG and by this time she is complaing about how her back is hurting and she can't get herself up so I literally have to pull her up off the bed and of course have to fasten her bra back up...this was a bad EKG...but to be honest doing EKG on women is a little weird and awkward since their breast are in your face and they are trying to have a conversation with you...maybe its me but I think its weird. Then today we have done 5 joint injections...we do 8g depo, and 4g of lydacane (?) with epi...and then we shoot up the joint that they are here to get...we've done left palm, one in the right hip, one in the left knee, and I don't know about the last two. Also while taken blood of out someones arm she begins to ask me where I am from and she asked if I am Hawaiin, then Cherokee, and I say Chinese and she says o really I thought you would maybe be some type of Native American...come on please go look up pictures of Native American and tell me if I look like any...if you find one that you think I look like then I will start saying I am Native American...its really weird to me that people in the office think I am anything else but Chinese specially knowing that my uncle is the doctor here...and I think we act alike...he's probably where I got my personality from to be honest. Can you believe all this has happened before lunch time? The afternoons was pretty easy...my first patient I took back was a 23 year old male, very cute and you could tell he was really embarrassed that he was coming to see the doctor because he is wetting the bed...and it was kind of funny becuase I asked what are you here for today and he said um...and then his mom that was with him and being seen too said he pees the bed and we don't know why...and his face turned red...so I come back and tell my uncle patient in 1 is ready he pees in the bed...and he goes yeah a lot of old folks do and I said nope not old 23 and he just looks at me like you must be kidding me...also while I was in this room the mom shows me her eye that has a sty (sp?) in it that needs to be taken care of...basically its just an infection. Its been treated once but nothing helped it. So my uncle goes and he gets me to come back and look at this...we numb the ladies eye up and then we basically squeeze this sty out like its a zit...can you imagine numbing up your eye and then getting people to squeeze are your eyeball? Pretty crazy...it was probably the coolest thing I have seen since I have been here! The lady was a trooper, but I guess I should have known she would be since she was telling me that if Doctor Lee couldn't do something about it she would take a razor blade too it...can you imagine that? Crazy people here.

No comments: