Tuesday, July 22, 2008
THE Question
Where are you from? is THE question that I hate for someone to ask me now a days. Somedays I want to just wear a sign that says I am CHINESE! But whenever I get asked I tell them I am Chinese and put a smile on my face and a lot of time I get "Where are you from?" and then some kind of nationality that blows my mind...but I just smile and say nope I am Chinese. But I guess to be honest it could be my fault because when someone asks where I am from I typically sayd that I am from Frankfort, KY and then they look at me like thats not what I was thinking and it becomes a little awkward...but I am from Frankfort, KY but my nationality is Chinese. Let me just give you a tad bit of background about this question. When I was in high school we had a lady that worked at my parents chinese restuarant (which you would think it mean I was Chinese) asked me if I was related to one of our hispanic workers and I said no he's Mexican and she looked at me and said so are you all related...and I said no I am Chinese and smiled and she stand there looking at me like I am dumb for saying I am Chinese or something. Then one day I was at Kroger with my little sister and this guy who walking down the same aisle as me looks at me and asks where I am from and I say Frankfort and that I am Chinese and he begins to talk to me in this weird language which I am assuming he thinks its Chinese but it wasn't. Then I was once at a friends babysitters house and she asked me what my nationality was and said are you native american and I just assumed she knew I was Chinese and started to say yes and then had to say no really fast and say I am Chinese, she continued to insist that I was wrong and that I had to have had some Native American in me. Well the other day I also had another lady that asked me where I was from and began to rub my arm and said you have such soft skin you must be Native American and I said no I am Chinese and she looks at me and says uhuh hunny I am a little Chinese too...which clearly she wasn't...and a few minutes later asked me again if I was positive that I wasn't Native American...and again I said no and walked out of the patients room. As I was telling this story to one of the other workers here the lady I was telling it too said I thought you were Asian and I said yeah I am and she said your Asian/Chinese and I said well Chinese is a type of Asian but I don't think she got it and thinks that I am 1/2 Chinese and 1/2 Asian. Then today I had a lady ask me if I was latino and of course I say no I am Chinese and smile...and all this is weird to me that people ask because most of them also associate me with being related some how to Dr. Lee and I guess they assume he's a different nationality then me or thinks he is one of those nationality(?), who knows about these people. But I am getting to the point that nothing suprises me yet of what people ask of what I am.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Whatever, you know you are a Hawaiian Eskimo. ;)
Post a Comment