Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Lee Medical Offices Day 3

Today was another great day! I started the morning at 7 and learned how to scan in all of our files and where they needed to go in our computer system...so I began to start the scanning process of about a 1 week and half worth of papers, but that went by pretty fast were we pretty much up to date but what we have done in the afternoon. I also did 2 more EKGs today without any help and it was awesome except its really weird when you get really hairy people, which one was, but I decided to let him tear them off instead of me ripping his hair off. I also learned all about the lab work stuff and processed pretty much any lab work that came through...the urine sampling is the worse thing for me, but really who wants to touch someone elses pee if we are being honest now. I actually really enjoy doing the blood...I think I am pretty good at it...atleast nobody has complained yet. I was extremely worried with the finger prick because I honestly think that is the worse part because your fingers are so sensative. I have also started to learn how to read the results from labs but I think its going to take a while for me to learn because its getting a little confusing, but I hope to get it soon. I also am starting to learn about the drugs in our drug closet and that gets really confusing because there is like 5 different kinds of drugs that basically do the same things but have different things in it to do the same thing and its hard to keep things straight, but hopefully I will get that soon too! Today I gaves someone a tetnus shot which was a little scary because I have always heard that they burn a little and I was a little worreid that it would really burn them since I was doing it, but it went well and the guy was super nice to me! But there was 2 things I saw today and 1 which I was able to participate in that mae it super cool. Today we had 2 patients come in for cryo which is basically needing something frozen/burnt/cut off and today the first patient that came in for that was getting some skin frozen off to help prevent skin cancer...he had developed scaley parts on his arms, hand, and head taht neeed to be frozen off before it became skin cancer...so we frozen them off and my uncle allowed me to freeze off a place on his hand and it was SO cool! The next person came in with a mole on his eye that had to be cut off and basically we burn it off with this little wand thing...my uncle had to get sweezers and pull up the eye lid and put the wand at the bottom of the wand until it burnt off, this was probably the coolest thing all day, but it scared me a little since it was his eye but he said he didn't feel a thing amazingly enough...maybe I should find one on my uncle and ask if I can burn it off of him for some practice What a great day!

I am a little sad though that today didn't work out to shadow my aunt to see the baby being born since it ended up happening last night, but there will be plenty more babies I hope while I am here to see...SO excited to see this happen!

1 comment:

Bart and/or Ari said...

this is all so cool! congrats on finding something that you're loving and welcome to the blogging world!