Friday, July 22, 2011

Texting

So I love texting, if you were to ask my friends they'd probably tell you I text them the most out of all their friends and if you saw my phone bill you'd see that I text easily 6k-7k a month easily. So clearly I use it and really think it's great addition to phones but I also miss talking on the phone with people. I can remember having my own phone line in middle school and being the coolest kid because people could call my line and always know they would get me. Gosh I remember on the weekends laying in bed talking to my best friend about everything and anything until we both got tired. I remember getting in an argument with a friend and instead of ignoring it we would call each other and talk it out instead of holding things in and not saying what we fill because of the gap you have in response time bye texts. I also remember enjoying the response they had, I believe that tones in voices symbolize things or just a laugh. In reality do we all really laugh out loud when we say lol? Im guilty of saying lol and not laughing out loud, I'm also guilty of the over usage of !!!!!!!! because if you know me my voice probably doesn't change that much or show that much excitement in most situations. I guess until just recently I didn't miss talking on the phone but the last few weeks I've done it a little more and it's been a pleasant surprise. It's actually made me smile when the phone rings because its been unexpected and at such perfect times. It's as if they could tell in my text that I needed more than a text. It's been a good change in my routine and it's been great in working on my communication. It's also great to here amazing news for a friend on the phone than through a text. I get excited when I get the text but it's even more exciting to chat with them and here their voice.

I guess I'm just worried that the world will be all about emails, texts, instant messaging, etc and lose this one on one "real" interaction with people. The real interactions are far better than just reading words. Think about your office I'd say that 97% is done throught emails instead of picking the phone to call or walking over to ask a coworker a question. We are losing the interactions with people which I think builds character. Sometimes it's hearing in the voice or seeing someone's face that actually make a situation better than just reading the words.

Dont get me wrong I love texting but I also love real conversations...hoping to find a balance on this.

No comments: